The IUR has broken new ground by creating the 1st Public-Private Partnership in the field of higher education and scientific research in Morocco and the MENA region.
Within this model, the State and its institutional partners have undertaken to create a new model of university teaching aiming to offer courses which meet the demands of the employment market in line with the strategic guidelines of the various sectoral plans in Morocco.
IUR in figures
• 1.2 billion MAD of investment over 5 years,
• A 20-hectare campus,
• More than 24 patents registered,
• Capacity for 5,000 students,
• Over 50 permanent high-calibre teaching staff from the Moroccan academic diaspora abroad or made available to us by our academic partners.
• A network of more than 50 academic, institutional and industrial partners.
A multi-discipline university, cutting-edge training
The IUR centres of learning were defined by the needs expressed in the employment market. The IUR has therefore adopted an innovative positioning by electing to train its students in areas consistent with the sectoral plans implemented by Morocco: Transport Engineering, Energy, Offshoring, etc.
• The department of Business, Management, Finance and Actuarial Science operates in academic partnership with the ESC at Rennes and ISFA at Lyons.
• The Rabat Political Sciences department in partnership with IEP at Grenoble;
• The Electronics, Logistics, Informatics and Telecommunications department in partnership with the University of Nantes;
• The Energy Department in partnership with the University of Lorraine;
• The Transport Engineering department in partnership with Georgiatech, Atlanta, USA;
• The Architecture department in partnership with the University of Paris East and the College of Architecture at Nancy.
New programmes included in the IUR educational project
One of the features of IUR is the diversity of programmes on offer which is consistent with the strategies embodied in the Moroccan sectoral plans. The complementarity of the IUR training and research centres will, over time, enable the demands of the Moroccan employment market in the key sectors to be met in full.
IUR stands out in the Moroccan landscape due to the development of training programmes wholly-adapted to the new demands of the employment market:
• Actuarial Science
• Political Sciences and Legal Studies
• Information Technology
• Islamic Finance
Higher School of Energy Engineering, ECINE. Applying the latest research, ECINE (Higher School of Energy Engineering) was created by IUR in response to the need for trained, high-calibre specialists in the field of renewable energies where it is estimated there are more than 24,700 jobs.
School of Aeronautics. Dedicated to the support and development of the cutting-edge sectors and to fulfilling the demand for qualified engineers, the Aeronautics, Space, Automobile, Naval and Railway Studies department at UIR offers outstanding programmes attuned to new technologies in the field of transport. This unique training centre covers a wide range of high-level fields.
IUR: leading Moroccan university in terms of registered patents
IUR’s Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) activity is founded on internationally-renowned industrial partnerships and on research projects with significant funding involving both local and international partners. Innovative solutions discovered in the course of RDI activity conducted by IUR researchers and students have resulted in more than 20 patents for inventions. For this achievement, OMPIC nominated IUR the leading Moroccan university for patents in 2012.
The IUR has also signed a range of research contracts with prominent industrial partners:
• US Army (USA)
• Jusung Engineering (Korea)
• Air Liquide (France)
• Thalès (France)
See also www.oecd.org/fr/pays/maroc/
©OECD Observer No 296, Q3 2013
The International University of Rabat: A new teaching model in Morocco
|Since its beginnings, the International University of Rabat (IUR) has developed into an increasingly attractive model of innovative teaching, renowned for its professionalism and rigour both nationally and internationally.|
Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the OECD by signing up for our e-newsletter :